Tuesday 23 June 2009

Foxes turn their attention to strawbs!

Yesterday morning I noticed that the netting over the strawberry patch had been disturbed and that some strawberries had been eaten. I assumed somehow birds had got under the netting, so I secured it again. Later in the evening I spotted a youg fox trying to get into the netting. I chased it off and tried securing the netting again. However this morning it was clear that during the night a fox had stood on the netting to depress it so they could reach the fruit. Although they couldn't eat it through the netting, the fruit is of course damaged. I have tried securing the edges of the netting with bricks but I doubt that will hold if a fox tries to climb on the netting again. Not sure how to prevent future raids. Some sort of rigid cage structure would be the best solution but then it would involve taking the whole thing off every time I want to pick some strawbs.