Sunday 22 March 2009

First spuds in!

Today I planted the first Pentland Javelins. As I don't want a glut of potatoes, I planted 3 seed potatoes, I'll plant some more later to hopefully stagger the cropping. I planted the spuds in a raised bed which was once the site of a compost heap, so the soil should be fertile. This area gets full sun for most of the day. I dug a trench about 8 feet long, should be able to fit in 8 or 9 potatoes eventually.
























This is the current state of chitting of the Pentlands -



















...and these are the 3 intrepid candidates for first planting, together with a piece of cane cunningly marked at the 5 inch point as a depth tester -



















Here's the first one in place, before being buried alive -



















After planting 3 spuds I left a marker cane to show the position of the third so I know where to space the next batch -


























and finally I installed anti-fox measures -