Friday 20 March 2009

Strawbs now planted

Here's a look at my strawberry bed with the new plants added to those that were already growing. You can see that the existing plants are much smaller than those I just planted. I grew the existing plants from seed over the last couple of years. Getting strawberry seeds to germinate is really difficult, which is why I bought potted up plants to fill the gap in the bed. Although the existing plants are small, in the last couple of years they've produced quite a lot of fruit, continuously from June to about October (by which point I'm fed up with picking them, anyway). Will be interesting to see how the new plants compare in fruit production.

btw the experts say you should remove the netting while there is no fruit so that the birds can eat any pests that might be lurking, however I hate to think what the foxes would do if I took the netting off the bed...