Saturday 8 August 2009

Tomato blight?

It's always prudent to sow more tomato seed than are actually required in case some seed fails to germinate. This means I'm usually left with more tomato plants than I actually want. However I can never bear to dispose of my spare plants, so I plant them out at the bottom of the garden in an area which is not ideal. I don't give these spare plants as much attention as my 'main' plants.

I noticed today that one of my spare plants is looking a bit ill. I was worried that this might be tomato blight, which can spread rapidly and also infect potato plants, so I pulled up two of my spare tomato plants which seemed to be affected. The fruit looks ok, although not yet ripe, so I kept the tomatoes and put them on a sunny windowsill. I put the affected tomato plants in the recycling wheely bin, not in my compost (I'm sure the council ensure their compost is sterilised).